Phil Letizia

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Today, the Day

Well, it's here, talk about great expectations. It feels like I've been watching this election cycle with a lot of interest for over a year. I've made many predictions of what I thought was going to happen through the months, and I've been wrong on almost all of them. So, to venture a prediction today here, would be incredibly dangerous.

I am still amazed however, by the beauty of our country. In no other country is the transition of power so seamless, so easy really. Although it may not seem like that to us depending on whoever we're voting for, tomorrow we will see an entirely different leadership and administration begin to take power, whichever side wins.

It makes me think of the struggles others have had throughout the ages to be "free". The struggle that so many still fight for today. As far as I know, God willing, no one will be storming "the Bastille" today, or running around with heads on pikes like they did in France 200 years ago. (Come on, you have to love the French)In January, George W. Bush will shake hands with the next leader of the free world and in that handshake, transfer power to another man, another group, with different ideas and different means.

Pretty amazing.

I said earlier, I wouldn't make a prediction. But come on, I have to! So here's Phil's prediction on today's events. I know you go to your political blogs to find the answers. To Drudge, CNN, Peggy Noonan. But today you've come here, so let me enlighten you of what will happen today...

PREDICTION::
Everything early will look like an Obama landslide! All the exit polls will favor Obama causing a great deal of excitement among many voters and the media in particular. However, around 8:30pm, things will begin to take shape and we'll see that the exits are not as accurate (they weren't in '04, leading us to believe Kerry had the lead) and McCain will make a strong push. Throughout the night, it will be close, real close. We may not even know until the morning. My final prediction though. In a close, closer than people think race.

Obama wins, 49%, McCain, 46%
I won't take a stab at the electoral votes.

ON a lighter note this Election Tuesday, did everyone get anything interesting while voting? USA TODAY reported people handing out everything from donuts, to unmentionables. Voting Gifts

Happy Election Day! And don't go near the Bastille!

1 Comments:

  • Huh. I had never thought of the election process as "seamless" before - but you are so right. We are so lucky to live in a country where, despite the name-calling and ugly ads and campaign slams, the transfer of power is civil.

    I like your predictions.

    And I like that you're back in blogging action. :)

    By Blogger hootenannie, At 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home